Thornhill Community Hall / 22nd August 2023 at 7:30 pm 

1. Present and Apologies

Present: Hector Muir (HM) Chair, Elaine Blanchard (EB) Secretary, Alison Newlands (AN) Minute Taker, Andy Greig (AG), Cllr Gene Maxwell (GM), Moira Russell (MR), Gary Thompson (GT) Treasurer, Sheena Stewart (SS), Rowena Coulthard (RC), Bob Marshall (BM), Veronica Bachelor (VB), Heather Aitkenhead (HA), Sara Fullerton (SF).

2. Approval of minutes of meeting on the 22nd February 2023

Minutes approved, no objections or comments.

Approved by MR

Seconded by AG

3. Approval of minutes of meeting on the 21st June 2023.

Minutes approved, no objections or comments.

Approved by AG

Seconded by EB

4. Matters Arising

a) Vote on co-opting members

Further to the Inaugural Meeting in June, where seven candidates were elected to the Community Council, it was advised there was the capacity to elect up to nine people. 

All agreed that new members would be welcome, and co-option nominations will be accepted from the November 2023 meeting onwards. 

5. Reports – External

a. Transport Scotland – Traffic Alleviation at Safari Park

HM – no update on this issue at present.  Agreed to leave on the agenda until funding has been agreed.

b. Police Scotland

The Police Scotland latest report has been received and details listed below.

Antisocial Behaviour

On 29/05/23 an incident took place on the A873 between Thornhill and the A84 at Blair Drummond whereby the passenger of a vehicle was threatening and abusive to the occupants of another. Enquiry was conducted and one male identified and issued with a recorded Police warning.

Cllr Gene Maxwell added that there have been a number of instances of anti-social behaviour in Stirling recently, which have raised some concerns.  This is highly unusual and has been raised with Police Scotland.


On 03/05/23 a theft by shoplifting occurred at Angling Active, Stirling Agricultural Centre. One male has been identified and issued with a recoded Police Warning. 

On 07/05/23 a theft by shoplifting occurred at Angling Active, Stirling Agricultural Centre. The person responsible for this brandished a knife at staff when leaving the store. One male was identified, arrested, charged, and kept in custody to appear at court in relation to this.


Fraud continues to be a problem in all areas of Scotland. Criminals are experts at impersonating people, organisations, and the police. They spend hours researching you for their scams, hoping you will let your guard down for just a moment. Stop and think. It could protect you and your money. 

There is advice including information on a number of different types of fraud on the Police Scotland website at – Personal Fraud – 

Police Scotland Police Scotland are currently recruiting for Special Constables. “As a special constable, you’ll collaborate with our police officers in your spare time – forging strong partnerships in the community, patrolling our streets, preventing crime, and interacting with all kinds of people to give back, keep your local community safe and make a real difference.” If you think you could make a difference in your local community then head to their recruitment pages for more info – Police Scotland Recruitment – Police Scotland

c. Stirling County Councillor 

GM advised that Stirling Council Councillors are just returning from summer recess and dealing with issues with potholes and housing overcrowding.

Planning has approved a new housing development, Durieshill located between Stirling Services and Plean.  This development will have three thousand new homes, a mix of tenures with private housing, affordable housing, and private rented sector housing.  The site will also have a primary and secondary school and community organisations and businesses. 

Stirling Council are involved in a City Region Deal with Clackmannanshire Council. This is a package of significant investment in innovation and infrastructure that will drive inclusive economic growth throughout the city region.  As part of this deal Stirling Council will see major investment into the Ministry of Defence land at Forthside.  At point of transfer, the site will have been surveyed and cleansed of any dangerous contaminants by the MOD, with the buildings and infrastructural elements being handed over on a ‘current condition’ basis. Opportunities will continue to be explored to support early release of any or all of the site.  There has been some interest in using the current buildings as they are.

World Cycling Championships

GM advised that he has received a lot of emails regarding the event and in general the feedback has been positive. It is clear there will be lessons learned from hosting such a major event in the area.

There was a discussion on funding for the event and GM agreed to check on the funding received and allocation.

Nursery Provision

GM advised that there are issues around nursery places in the area in particular Killin.  This is due to the reduction of early years provision and funding.  This has forced some nursery provisions to reduce the number of employees reducing places available and resources for provision. 

6. Reports – Internal

a. Chair

HM – Nothing to report.

TBCC email now transferred over to EB.

c. Treasurer

GT updated the meeting with the current financial information.

Treasurer’s Report: Approximately £450 in the account, awaiting admin grant being released.

d. Planning

AG – Report circulated by AL. 

AG read out new planning applications received at Stirling Council for Thornhill.

GM advised that the New National Planning Framework was published in February 2024 and has introduced stricter controls relating to flooding and the ability to build properties in flood areas.

e. Thornhill Future Group

EB advised that the group is pushing forward with the local placement plan and are currently on draft number 9, aiming to complete a final draft by January 2024.

A final public consultation has been arranged for 21st September 2023.

f. Blair Drummond Community Hall

Nothing to report.

g. North Common Trust

EB advised that the Chair of the North Common Trust has recently resigned and are currently assessing the role moving forward.  In addition, the Deed of Trust for the North Common Trust lists those members should also be members of the TBCC.  

6. Community Council Business

a. Dunsire and Partners’ development in Thornhill 

AG updated the meeting on the development application and advised that a decision has still not been reached.  The decision was previously on hold pending the decision on a planning application at Mossend, West Lothian, this has subsequently been rejected.  The Scottish Government Reporter requested any further comments to be submitted by 18th August now extended to 30th August 2023.  The Reporter will then deliberate for a period of time then pass their recommendation to the Scottish Government. 

b. Slow Down sign/flashing light on A873 after B8031 (near Coldoch Road) towards Stirling.

HM to check with Gabriela Ingle on the work conducted previously and will update at the next meeting.    

c. Sommers Lane

GM to check with Roads Department regarding an update on new signage. 

d. Speeding in Thornhill

Speeding in Thornhill continues to be an issue, see item 7.

e. Flooding in Callander

AG tabled a paper on  Aberfoyle Flooding.  

Background information – Aberfoyle has a long-standing problem with flooding. Since Stirling Council (SC) was given responsibility for dealing with this, many reports, and much money (rumoured to be £2M+) has been spent studying the problem but no action has resulted.  

The damage caused by flooding is presently calculated simply in terms of the damage to property. On this basis, Aberfoyle was not in the first tranche of communities selected for flood protection. In practice, the economic damage and inconvenience is much greater because all the communities, including two large hotels and the school, are frequently cut off to the west of Aberfoyle. A recent letter from SC to the planning authority recommends an objection to any development west of Aberfoyle, where the B829 is blocked on the grounds of flooding. This is difficult to quantify, and at present is not considered.

AG advised that Strathard Community Council has requested support from TBCC.  All agreed and AG will write to them and offer support.

f. Doig Street Water Pressure

EB raised the above item for consideration by the TBCC due to the issues that it is causing families in this area.  

MR advised that the water pressure has been particularly bad for a prolonged period of time.  Numerous calls have been logged with Scottish Water but no resolution to date.  Scottish Water have visited the area several times and believe the issue to due to old water pipes that are no longer fit for purpose, given the number of houses it supplies.

MR to telephone Scottish Water for an update and request details on escalation process.

GM agree to write to Scottish Water.

7. Residents Forum

Speeding in Thornhill

HA outlined the issues around speeding in Thornhill:

  • Last week a dog was killed by a speeding vehicle along our Main Street. 
  • The extent to which the situation impacts the everyday lives of Thornhill residents, especially young families and older people who are unable to live and move safely around the village.
  • Damage to cars and buildings is a regular occurrence.
  • Children cannot walk or cycle to school safely as vehicles (including buses and lorries) regularly mount the pavement rather than wait for other vehicles to pass.
  • There are no crossing points or signs around the school.
  • Pavements are too narrow for prams. It is impossible to strap toddlers into car seats along the Main Street without cars speeding inches away from the door. 

HA outlined the three main areas of concern:

  • Thornhill main street down from road narrowing to Grays Loan.
  • Thornhill Cross bottle neck.
  • Area around Thornhill Primary School.

The TBCC entered a detailed discussion on the issues outlined and agreed the issues need to be addressed urgently particularly around the primary school.  

Ideas tabled:

  • Pedestrian crossing –  previously agreed with Stirling Council, never actioned.
  • One way system 
  • Flower planters along far end of village to prevent cars mounting the pavements.
  • Council CCTV van used for surveillance in the village.
  • Signage at Primary School.
  • Line painting at crossroads.
  • Community Petition to Stirling Council.
  • Look at Safe Routes to School Programme.

GM agreed to follow up signage and issues around safety at the primary school and update on pedestrian crossing plans.

HM agreed to speak to Gabriela Ingle regarding previous petition to Stirling Council and process involved.

TBCC agreed to add issue as a standing item for future meetings.

b. Road Markings

Resident email about road markings (specifically at the junction with the A84 at the Smiddy) having seen several cars going the wrong way due to poor road markings. There is also an issue at the Main Street/Kippen Road junction – Stirling Council said they were going to repaint there after the accident earlier in the year, but still have not done so.

AG agreed to write to Stirling Council regarding repainting road markings, supported by GM.

8. AOB

Back Yetts

SF advised the meeting on the issues of cars using the Back Yetts road.  It appears that Google Maps navigation is using this road as the preferred route through Thornhill.  This road is not suitable for heavy traffic and vehicles are being damaged and pavement already collapsed on the corner of the road.  GM agreed to follow up repair of pavement with Stirling Council.   

9. Date, time, and venue of next meeting

28th September 2023 at 7:30pm

Action PointsMember Responsible
Funding for World Cycling ChampionshipsGM
Update on Slow Down sign/flashing light on A873 after B8031 (near Coldoch Road) towards Stirling from Gabriela IngleHM
Update on requested signage for Sommers LaneGM
Aberfoyle Flooding – Letter to Strathard Community Council offering TBCC supportAG
GM agree to write to Scottish Water.GM
MR to telephone Scottish Water for an update and request details on escalation process. MR
Stirling Council – Follow up signage and issues around safety at the primary school and update on pedestrian crossing plans for the village.GM
Speak to Gabriela Ingle regarding previous petition to Stirling Council and process involved.HM
Letter to Stirling Council re road markings.AG
Repairs to pavement Back YettsGM

Meeting closed 20:30.